Browsing by Author "Herrmann, Joachim"
Now showing 1 - 7 of 7
Results Per Page
- Item3D numerical simulations of THz generation by two-color laser filaments(Berlin : Weierstraß-Institut für Angewandte Analysis und Stochastik, 2012) Bergé, Luc; Skupin, Stefan; Köhler, Christian; Babushkin, Ihar; Herrmann, JoachimTerahertz (THz) radiation produced by the filamentation of two-color pulses over long distances in argon is numerically investigated using a comprehensive model in full spacetime resolved geometry. We show that the dominant physical mechanism for THz generation in the filamentation regime at clamping intensity is based on quasi-dc plasma currents. The calculated THz spectra for different pump pulse energies and pulse durations are in agreement with previously reported experimental observations. For the same pulse parameters, near-infrared pump pulses at 2 m are shown to generate a more than one order of magnitude larger THz yield than pumps centered at 800 nm.
- ItemDirectionality of THz emission from photoinduced gas plasmas(Berlin : Weierstraß-Institut für Angewandte Analysis und Stochastik, 2011) Köhler, Christian; Cabrera-Granado, Eduardo; Babushkin, Ihar; Bergé, Luc; Herrmann, Joachim; Skupin, StefanForward and backward THz emission by ionizing two-color laser pulses in gas is investigated by means of a simple semi-analytical model based on Jefimenko's equation and rigorous Maxwell simulations in one and two dimensions. We find the emission in backward direction having a much smaller spectral bandwidth than in forward direction and explain this by interference effects. Forward THz radiation is generated predominantly at the ionization front and is thus almost not affected by the opacity of the plasma, in excellent agreement with results obtained from a unidirectional pulse propagation model.
- ItemExtension of the standard model of electroweak interaction and Dark Matter in the tangent bundle geometry(Berlin ; Heidelberg : Springer, 2019) Herrmann, JoachimA generalized theory of electroweak interaction is developed based on the underlying geometrical structure of the tangent bundle with symmetries arising from transformations of tangent vectors along the fiber axis at a fixed spacetime point given by the SO(3,1) group. Electroweak interaction beyond the standard model (SM) is described by the little groups SU(2) ⊗ Ec(2) (Ec(2) is the central extended Euclidian group) which includes the group SU(2) ⊗ U(1) as a limit case. In addition to isospin and hypercharge, two additional quantum numbers arise which explain the existence of families in the SM. The connection coefficients yield the SM gauge potentials but also hypothetical gauge bosons and other hypothetical particles as a Higgs family as well as candidate Dark Matter particles are predicted. Several important consequences for the interaction between dark fermions, dark scalars or dark vector gauge bosons with each other and with SM Higgs and Z-bosons are described. © 2019, The Author(s).
- ItemGeneration of terahertz radiation from ionizing two-color laser pulses in Ar filled metallic hollow waveguides(Berlin : Weierstraß-Institut für Angewandte Analysis und Stochastik, 2010) Babuškin, Ihar; Skupin, Stefan; Herrmann, JoachimThe generation of THz radiation from ionizing two-color femtosecond pulses propagating in metallic hollow waveguides filled with Ar is numerically studied. We observe a strong reshaping of the low-frequency part of the spectrum. Namely, after several millimeters of propagation the spectrum is extended from hundreds of GHz up to 150 THz. For longer propagation distances, nearly single-cycle near-infrared pulses with wavelengths around 4.5 μm are obtained by appropriate spectral filtering, with an efficiency of up to 0.25 %.
- ItemQuasi-phase-matching for third harmonic generation in noble gases employing ultrasound(Berlin : Weierstraß-Institut für Angewandte Analysis und Stochastik, 2012) Sapaev, Usman K.; Babushkin, Ihar; Herrmann, JoachimWe study a novel method of quasi-phase-matching for third harmonic generation in a gas cell using the periodic modulation of the gas pressure and thus of the third order nonlinear coefficient in the axial direction created by an ultrasound wave. Using a comprehensive numerical model we describe the quasi-phase matched third harmonic generation of UV (at 266 nm) and VUV pulses (at 133 nm) by using pump pulses at 800 nm and 400 nm, respectively, with pulse energy in the range from 3 mJ to 1 J. In addition, using chirped pump pulses, the generation of sub-20-fs VUV pulses without the necessity for an external chirp compensation is predicted.
- ItemSwitchable plasmonic routers controlled by external magnetic fields by using magneto-plasmonic waveguides(London : Nature Publishing Group, 2018) Ho, Kum-Song; Im, Song-Jin; Pae, Ji-Song; Ri, Chol-Song; Han, Yong-Ha; Herrmann, JoachimWe analytically and numerically investigate magneto-plasmons in metal films surrounded by a ferromagnetic dielectric. In such waveguide using a metal film with a thickness exceeding the Skin depth, an external magnetic field in the transverse direction can induce a significant spatial asymmetry of mode distribution. Superposition of the odd and the even asymmetric modes over a distance leads to a concentration of the energy on one interface which is switched to the other interface by the magnetic field reversal. The requested magnitude of magnetization is exponentially reduced with the increase of the metal film thickness. Based on this phenomenon, we propose a waveguide-integrated magnetically controlled switchable plasmonic routers with 99-%-high contrast within the optical bandwidth of tens of THz. This configuration can also operate as a magneto-plasmonic modulator.
- ItemUltrafast spatio-temporal dynamics of terahertz generation by ionizing two-color femtosecond pulses in gases(Berlin : Weierstraß-Institut für Angewandte Analysis und Stochastik, 2010) Babushkin, Ihar; Kuehn, Wihelm; Köhler, Christian; Skupin, Stefan; Bergé, Luc; Reimann, Klaus; Woerner, Michael; Herrmann, Joachim; Elsaesser, ThomasWe present a combined theoretical and experimental study of spatio-temporal propagation effects in terahertz (THz) generation in gases using two-color ionizing laser pulses. The observed strong broadening of the THz spectra with increasing gas pressure reveals the prominent role of spatio-temporal reshaping and of a plasma-induced blue-shift of the pump pulses in the generation process. Results obtained from (3+1)-dimensional simulations are in good agreement with experimental findings and clarify the mechanisms responsible for THz emission.