Browsing by Author "Farina, Alberto"
Now showing 1 - 5 of 5
Results Per Page
- Item1D symmetry for semilinear pdes from the limit interface of the solution(Berlin : Weierstraß-Institut für Angewandte Analysis und Stochastik, 2014) Farina, Alberto; Valdinoci, EnricoWe study bounded, entire, monotone solutions of the Allen-Cahn equation. We prove that under suitable assumptions on the limit interface and on the energy growth, the solution is 1D. In particular, differently from the previous literature, the solution is not assumed to have minimal properties. We think that this approach could be fruitful in concrete situations, where one can observe the phase separation at a large scale and whishes to deduce the values of the state parameter in the vicinity of the interface. As a simple example of the results obtained with this point of view, we mention that monotone solutions with energy bounds, whose limit interface does not contain a vertical line through the origin, are 1D, at least up to dimension 4.
- ItemGradient bounds and rigidity results for singular, degenerate, anisotropic partial differential equations(Berlin : Weierstraß-Institut für Angewandte Analysis und Stochastik, 2013) Cozzi, Matteo; Farina, Alberto; Valdinoci, EnricoWe consider the Wulff-type energy functional where B is positive, monotone and convex, and H is positive homogeneous of degree 1. The critical points of this functional satisfy a possibly singular or degenerate, quasilinear equation in an anisotropic medium. We prove that the gradient of the solution is bounded at any point by the potential F(u) and we deduce several rigidity and symmetry properties.
- ItemMonotonicity formulae and classifcation results for singular, degenerate, anisotropic PDEs(Berlin : Weierstraß-Institut für Angewandte Analysis und Stochastik, 2014) Cozzi, Matteo; Farina, Alberto; Valdinoci, EnricoWe consider possibly degenerate and singular elliptic equations in a possibly anisotropic medium. We obtain monotonicity results for the energy density, rigidity results for the solutions and classi?cation results for the singularity/degeneracy/anisotropy allowed. As far as we know, these results are new even in the case of non-singular and non- degenerate anisotropic equations.
- ItemRegularity and rigidity theorems for a class of anisotropic nonlocal operators(Berlin : Weierstraß-Institut für Angewandte Analysis und Stochastik, 2016) Farina, Alberto; Valdinoci, EnricoWe consider here operators which are sum of (possibly) fractional derivatives, with (possibly different) order. The main constructive assumption is that the operator is of order 2 in one variable. By constructing an explicit barrier, we prove a Lipschitz estimate which controls the oscillation of the solutions in such direction with respect to the oscillation of the nonlinearity in the same direction. As a consequence, we obtain a rigidity result that, roughly speaking, states that if the nonlinearity is independent of a coordinate direction, then so is any global solution (provided that the solution does not grow too much at infinity). A Liouville type result then follows as a byproduct.
- ItemA rigidity result for nonlocal semilinear equations(Berlin : Weierstraß-Institut für Angewandte Analysis und Stochastik, 2014) Farina, Alberto; Farina, AlbertoWe consider a possibly anisotropic integro-differential semilinear equation, run by a nondecreasing and nontrivial nonlinearity. We prove that if the solution grows at infinity less than the order of the operator, then it must be constant.